When the Lilacs Bloom

Monday, June 25, 2007

Who wants to play Ro-Sham-Bo?

" Let's play Ro-Sham-Bo Nanny," my cousin Riley declared, sitting down in front of me with her legs crossed and putting her hand out flat. "Don't play it with her, " my brother Rusty said, "she cheats." I looked at Riley with a suspicious eye. "Is that true? Are you a cheater?" Riley thought about it for a second and then replied, "Yes... I am."

"I've never heard of this game before, is it like rock paper scissors?" I asked the 3 year old sitting in front of me. "What you do," she said "is you take your hands and you shake them up and you say Ro-Sham-Bo, and whoevers hand looks like this (she made her fist look a little like a firecracker going off) is the one who wins." "Let's play" I said.

"Ro-Sham-Bo" we both chanted. She made the sign for 3, something she has just learned because her third birthday was last week. I made the sign for paper. "I win" she declared. "Why?" I asked. "Because I'm 3!"

"Ro-Sham-Bo" we chant. She made the sign for 1 and I made the sign for scissors. "I win" she says. "No, I win." I say, pretending to cut off her finger with my scissor fingers. She looks at me stunned. Then she laughs like a mad woman and replies, "That is winning, Nanny."

"Ro-Sham-Bo". I put in my fist for rock, she sticks in her foot. "I win" she declares. I bite her foot and the game dissolves into a tickle fight. Rusty walks in to find the two champions of Ro-Sham-Bo. He has refused to play the game with the 3 year old anymore because "it just doesn't make any sense, and you can only win because you cheat at it too." So be it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamie and Michael said...

I love little-kid-logic. It makes absolutely no sense to anyone but them-- then they expect everyone else to be totally in on their rules and their way of thinking! This game reminds me of the way my kids want me to play with them sometimes and I frustrate them because I don't think like they do. Your reaction was so perfect! I need to be more like that.

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home